Which is the best food 3D printer on the market? Read our guide to find out.
A food printer is a high-tech device that is used to create culinary masterpieces. The decoration of food products has reached a new level thanks to the use of modern technologies. High-quality and large-format printing can be done on cakes, waffles, pancakes and even coffee.
In this guide, we’ll look at the best food 3D printers in different price categories for people who are fond of cooking. But before we do so, let’s start with the basics.
What is a Food 3D Printer?
A 3D printer is a special machine that uses different materials (i.e., resins or plastics) to print models. However, with a food printer, the raw materials used are not printing plastics. Instead, the printer is filled with edible ingredients.
The printer has a large number of different recipes stored in its database. Therefore, to print a dish, you just need to select one of the recipes and activate the printing process. The end product is layered on the work surface or in a plate. The product can be baked in the oven or sent to the freezer.
Scope of Application
Below are some examples of culinary delicacies produced by different 3D printers for food.
A food 3D printer is a worthy investment for owners of coffee shops, copyright bakeries and private workshops. The finished product has a unique shape and striking appearance.
Food printers can be used to create custom wedding cakes, cookies in the form of cartoon characters, gingerbread Christmas greetings, and so on. The possibilities of a baker who owns such a device are endless. However, it is important to buy the right food 3D printer.
Raw Materials Used
The raw materials used in food 3D printers are ingredients such as:
- Chocolate without additives and impurities
- Whipped curd
- Vegetable and fruit pastes
- Fish and meat pates
- Cheese, etc.
The confectionery pattern is applied to sugar, waffle or shock transfer paper.
Sugar has a sweetish taste and vanilla aroma. Thanks to the snow-white surface, no additional coating is required. Therefore, when you use sugar to print confectionery, the drawings look bright and clear.
Waffle paper is made from rice flour and does not have a special taste. Due to the light shade, the final patterns look less clear.
Shock transfer paper is completely transparent and suitable for transferring a design onto a product (for example, a cake).
When the food has been printed, food grade plastic for a 3D printer is used for packaging finished products.
Interesting! Food printers are involved in reducing waste. Unattractive fruit and pastry leftovers are used in the preparation of printed mixes. This allows you to spend more efficiently the means of production.
Types of 3D Printers for Food
Food lovers can use the following devices to print food:
- Food 3D printers. These are devices that print dishes whose recipes are entered into the database. The final product is layered on the work surface. The raw material comes from filled cartridges.
- Confectionery printers. These devices are used to transfer images onto special paper or to design small confectionery products such as candy. Such printers print the image on pre-prepared paper: rice, waffle or shock transfer
- Food plotters. These do not transfer the image onto paper, but directly onto the finished product. For example, a plotter is used to transfer an image directly onto a cake.
There are several types of food 3D printers. The printers can be divided into two sub-categories:
Extrusion Type Food 3D Printers
With these printers, paint is applied to the surface before the dish is created. The process is controlled by a computer with an uploaded image.
The system has an extruder that heats the food mixture, and the distribution of raw materials depends on the print head. The raw material is loaded into a syringe placed in the head. Therefore, to combine different shades, you have to periodically stop printing and change the syringe;
Carousel-type Food 3D Printer
These printers also has an extruder. However, their main feature is the way of feeding the raw material: the containers rotate around the working surface. The feeding and dosage of the material used depends on the recipe marked in the program.
Their databases can contain countless recipes. Also, operating these printer is easy, even for an inexperienced user.
Popular Manufacturers of Food 3D Printers
Renowned manufacturers offer the best value for money with their 3D printers for food. The devices are of high-quality, print accurately, are fast, durable, simple and easy to use.
Here are the best food 3D printer manufacturers on the market:
Wiiboox manufactures 3D printers with high build quality and high productivity. Their food 3D printers are versatile and seasoned with both chocolate paste and mashed potatoes.
There are numerous positive reviews confirm the high quality of Wiibox products.
The Dutch company byFlow specializes in food printing technology. Striving for excellence helps the company to open up new horizons, such as technology prints products from spinach, meat emulsion and other materials.
High build quality, ease of use and durability – all these characteristics are applicable to the products of this company.
Choc Edge is dedicated to revolutionizing the world of chocolate making. Numerous experimentation and focus on consumer feedback is helping to create more powerful devices that provide the optimal temperature for preparing and storing chocolate figures.
Attention! Printing dishes helps to save time on cooking. Instead of culinary worries, the user can simply activate the printing process and take up other business
Top 10 Best Food Printers
Before buying a food 3D printer, you need to what is available on the market. Below are the top food printers based on customer ratings and reviews.
1. PancakeBot 2.0
PancakeBot 2.0 is easy to use. Therefore, it is also suitable for inexperienced users too. You can choose the proposed projects in the software, or create their own.
This printer is great for printing pancakes.
- Easy to operate
- A wide range of recipes available
- Fast speed
- The dough for printing pancakes must be very liquid. If there are lumps, the nozzles may clog and printing will have to be stopped.
2. Wiiboox Sweetin
Food printers by Wiiboox are not only for confectionery lovers, but also ordinary chefs. The device prints cakes, cookies and even mashed potatoes. The raw materials that can be used include meat, cheese, chocolate, jam, mashed potatoes, dough and much more.
The printer has a convenient touch panel where you can set the desired operating mode. Its stylish appearance also complements the interior of any establishment.
- Versatile (you can print not only sweet dishes, but also side dishes)
- Attractive appearance
- High build quality
- Convenient control through the touch panel
- Expensive price
3. Choc Creator V2.0 Plus
When talking about chocolate 3D printer to buy, the numerous benefits of Choc Creator V2.0 Plus are worth mentioning. The new model has been greatly improved.
This chocolate 3D printer is small in size. Therefore, it can be used in any kitchen. The even heating of the syringe ensures high-quality and trouble-free operation.
In practice, the chocolate printer has demonstrated tremendous capabilities. With it, you can printcomplex shapes from chocolate.
- Attractive appearance
- Uninterrupted work
- Can create strong and beautiful chocolate shapes.
- Only designed for printing with chocolate. You cannot use pastes, pates or purees
4. Food Grade 3D Printer Choc Creator V2.0 Plus with Cooling Chamber
The new version of the Choc Creator V2.0 Plus printer is equipped with cooling chambers. With the previous model, maintaining the optimal temperature in the room to preserve the integrity of the chocolate figurines was too problematic.
The price of a food 3D printer with a cooling system is slightly higher than the classic one. However, final products printed justify the additional costs.
- Has a cooling system for finished products
- High printing accuracy
- Long service life
- Easy to use (the fans can be turned on and off with the side buttons).
- High price.
Attention! Confectionery food 3D printers are often used by artists to create edible masterpieces. This is a unique technology that helps to unleash the creativity of the chef.
5. byFlow Focus
This food printer is made by the Dutch company byFlow. The company specializes in 3D printing of food products. The compact high-tech device is used for the bakery industry. Its cartridges are suitable for all pasty ingredients.
- Access to the recipe store
- Easy to use
- Needs constant care
6. Chefjet Pro
The ChefJet Pro food printer is necessary for people who want to make bright and stylish sweets. The device is created on the principle of inkjet printing. However, instead instead of paints, sugar-containing powder materials are used. The final product is made by powder layering.
The printer is suitable for combining different shades and creating gradients.
- Can create unique flavors
- Neat and bright printing
- Aesthetic appearance of the device
Foodini’s 3D food printer works on the principle of a stationary printer. However, instead of printing inks, edible raw materials are applied in layers. Examples of raw materials that can be used with the printer include dough, cream, chocolate, cream, among others.
The device is versatile. You can choose the material to use or use ready-made cartridges with products.
- High build quality
- Attractive appearance
- Availability of an online platform with unique recipes.
- You need to care for the printer well. Otherwise, its life will be significantly reduced.
8. Mmuse Chocolate 3D Printer
MMuse is a closed food 3D printer that is suitable for chocolate printing. Chocolate beans are used as raw materials. The beans they are heated in an extruder and fed to the working surface through the print head.
- Fast printing speed
- Elegant design
- Easy to use
- Can only print with chocolate as the raw material
9. ZBOT Commercial Art Pancakes Printer F5
This food printer from Chinese manufacturers is used to make pancakes of various shapes. The printer is easy to use, even for children
- Ease of operation
- High build quality
- Affordable cost
- The need to create a lump-free pancake batter.
10. ZMorph VX
This is a multifunctional 3D printer that cannot only print with food, but also with rubber, ABS plastic, polylactide, PVA, nylon, elastic and metal materials.
The product is capable of printing with chocolate, butter, cookies, icing and other ingredients. In addition, there is a CNC engraving and milling function.
- Has laser engraving
- Can create beautiful, holistic dishes.
- High price.
Best Food 3D Printer to Buy
There is wide range of food printers on the market. Before making a purchase, you must carefully study the features of each model and consider your own preferences. Here are our recommendations for choosing a 3D printer for food:
- If you want to create realistic images for confectionery 3D printing, pay attention to the diameter of the nozzle. The narrower the nozzle is, the more accurate the image will be
- People living in regions with a warm climate are better off purchasing chocolate 3D printers with a cooling system. Such devices ensure that the figures are kept in the optimal temperature regime
- Self-refilling is the most practical and economical way to operate your printer
- Print speed is an important consideration for catering owners. In this job, large batches of dishes must be produced quickly. However, for home users, print speed should not be a very strict selection criterion.
The above are the best 3D printers for food available on the market.