How 3D pens changed the meaning of art
The invention of 3D Printer printers triggered a lot of expectations from artistic enthusiasts. Unfortunately, most people were not able to join in the fun of transformation from 2D to 3D as a result of the exorbitant prices of the printers.
The 3Doodler pen was therefore happily welcomed as it was a dream comes true for many. The 3Doodler pen is the first gadget ever to be invented that allows a person to create 3D drawings in air, offhand. The pen is designed with a technology that heats up plastic and extrudes it as molten continuous filament material that is easily cooled on contact to air. The plastic is ejected in fine string, like in a finely pointed glue stick gun and this is what you use to build your structures.
There is practically no limit to the 3D structures that you can create with a 3D pen. The good news is that you donít need any special know-how to use the pen or even software or programs. However, 3D pens are a new invention and have hardly been around for a year. Like all new things, they still have room for a lot of improvement.
Whatís the drawing medium in 3D pens?
There are two main materials that are used by 3D pens as drawing mediums; plastic (PLA) and ABS.
- Plastic Medium (PLA)
The plastic material that is used by 3D pens is a biodegradable material. In comparison to ABS, it more brittle, less flexible and less suitable for designs that are free standing and greater than horizontal plane positioned.
Advantages of Plastic Medium
- It is perfect for use in designs that require different pieces to be constructed first then later fused together to create the 3D structure.
- Since it is possible to work them in finer details, plastic is more ideal for constructing acute angles in comparison to ABS.
- Plastic has very good adhesion properties. It is therefore perfect for drawing on acrylic and glass.
- Plastic will also tend to stick better on paper where one is looking at creating a durable art work due to its excellent adhesion properties.
- For, semi-transparent 3D art, plastic is more ideal since itís semi-translucent.
- ABS Medium
ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) is a cheap costing material that has properties that enable it to form a rigid material when heated then cooled. The free-standing creations that are made by ABS can withstand higher temperatures compared to those made by PLA and are more durable.
Advantages of ABS Medium
- It gives one freedom of post-processing their designs with acetone when they desire a glossy finish.
- Pieces made from ABS are more flexible both in function and form.
- ABS is ideal for drawing on paper outlines. One can overlay the plastic using a paper drawing then peel it off and construct it into a 3D structure with other pieces. The most common example where this strategy has been used in during the construction of the Eiffel Tower 3D model that was first drawn on paper.
- ABS is less brittle than PLA. It is therefore more ideal for constructing free-standing pieces like a standing car or tree. However, the drawing should be in either twisted or straight form or other shape thatís a plane above the horizontal plane.
3D pens have definitely changed how we look at art with its unlimited possibilities. It has revolutionized art education, artwork, and even technical drawing. Current 3D pens are just the beginning of the future of art.
Since 3D pens are a new invention, improvements are continuously being made to improve their efficiency and reliability. With more improvements prices are definitely expected to go higher. However, the current generation of 3D pens are affordable and a great tool to invest in. Grab this opportunity to join in the fun before more expensive pens replace the current ones.